Dall' Annuario 2006

DNA diseases and diagnostic test

« Older   Newer »

1. staffydea

User deleted

APPLYING A SIMILAR STRATEGY TO THE STAFFORDSHIRE BULL TERRIER
    To my mind, there is absolutely no reason why a similar approach should not be adopted for the control of both HC and L-2-HGA in the Staffordshire Bull Terrier breed. However, I can see at least one complication that needs to be addressed. Thus far, breeding programmes linked to DNA testing for a specific disease-causing mutation have been adopted by breeds that are relatively small, numerically, where most breeders that register their litters with the Kennel Club are members of an appropriate breed club and, commonly, read the dog papers and breed notes. Engaging with these people to inform them about the various proposals has been relatively easy and most, if not all, will have heard of them.

These two new tests are probably the first in a numerically large breed, where significant numbers of breeders registering litters with the Kennel Club will not be members of a breed club and will not, necessarily, be avid readers of the dog press. This, of course, adds a new level of complexity in terms of communicating ideas and schemes to those that need to take the information on board. The one thing that we do have of course is the fact that most breeders are registering their litters with the Kennel Club and new owners are transferring these registrations. The Kennel Club therefore has the appropriate contact details and are thus in a position to disseminate information to these people. We are presently having discussions internally as to how to best achieve this, but there is no reason why we cannot communicate ideas to al those that breed Staffordshire Bull Terriers and register them with us, and get the right messages across with regard to DNA testing.

Traduzione
    APPLICARE UNA STRATEGIA SIMILE NELLO STAFFORDSHIRE BULL TERRIER
    A mio avviso, non c'è alcun motivo per cui un simile approccio non dovrebbe essere adottato per il controllo dell' HC e l' L-2-HGA nello Staffordshire Bull Terrier. Tuttavia, ammetto che possano esserci complicanze da affrontare.
    Finora i programmi di allevamento legati al test del DNA per una mutazione responsabile di una specifica malattia sono stati adottati da razze numericamente piccole, in quanto gli allevatori più che registrare le cucciolate al Kennel Club sono membri di club specifici della razza. Informare queste persone sulle varie proposte è stato relativamente facile e la maggior parte, se non tutti, avranno capito il concetto.

Questi due test sono probabilmente i primi per una razza consistente numericamente della quale un certo numero di allevatori registra le cucciolate al Kennel Club, non essendo membri di un club di razza e non essendo necessariamente avidi lettori di scritti sulla stessa. Ovviamente ciò porta a un nuovo problema in termini di comunicazione di idee e programmi per coloro che ne hanno bisogno. L'unica cosa sicura è che la maggior parte degli allevatori stanno registrando le loro cucciolate al Kennel Club e queste registrazioni vengono trasferite ai nuovi proprietari. Il Kennel Club possiede quindi i dati del contatto ed è in grado di diffondere informazioni a tutte queste persone. Al momento abbiamo alcuni contrasti internamente per decidere il modo migliore di raggiungimento dell' obiettivo, ma non vi è alcun motivo per cui non possiamo comunicare idee a coloro che hanno a cuore lo Staffordshire Bull Terrier, permettere loro di registrarsi con noi e ottenere delucidazioni sui test del DNA.

23 replies since 21/1/2010, 09:01   434 views