Dall' Annuario 2006

DNA diseases and diagnostic test

« Older   Newer »

1. staffydea

User deleted

THE WAY FORWARD?
    Obviously, the first thing that needs to be done is to create an acceptance amongst Staffordshire Bull Terrier breeders that all potential breeding stock should be DNA tested for both conditions before they are bred from.
    Knowing the result for each test will then be able to better inform the breeder about choosing potential mates.

If a dog comes back clear for both diseases, then there really isn't a problem because such dogs will have two normal copies of both of the genes involved and can therefore only pass on normal copies to their offspring.

What about if a dog comes back as a carrier, for either or both conditions? Being a carrier means that the dog will not become clinically affected, but it will have one normal copy of the gene and one mutant copy of the gene, and it will pass on the mutant gene copy to approximately half of its offspring if it bred from. How breeders deal with identified carriers is, of course, up to the individual breeder. Some will say that they will not breed from an identified carrier, and that, of course, is their decision. However, my own view is that too few dogs enter the breeding pool in all breeds and to reduce this even further could be to the long-term detriment of the breed. Indeed, for me, one of the major advantages of having a DNA test is that it allows breeders to breed from identified carriers.However, breeding from a carrier imposes extra constraints on the choice of a mate. A known carrier should not be mated to an untested dog, because that dog could be at least an unidentified carrier, nor should a DNA tested carrier dog be mated to another DNA tested carrier dog. This is because if two carriers are mated together, each puppy will have a 1 in 4 chance of being affected, and this is far too high a risk. However , if a carrier is mated to a DNA tested normal dog, then the first thing to remember is that none of the subsequent litter will become clinically affected, but the litter will be a mixture of normal and carrier puppies. Obviously, the availability of two different DNA tests makes this choice slightly more complex, but not insurmountable.

We now have quite a bit of experience with the use of DNA testing for disease genes in other breeds and the following pattern seems to work exceedingly well to reduce the frequency of the offending disease-causing mutation without removing dogs from the breed's breeding pool. The following steps should be followed:
    - All potential breeding stock should be DNA tested before they are bred from.
    - Identified carriers should not be mated to an untested dog, or to another identified carrier.
    - Identified carriers can be mated, but only to a DNA tested normal dog. This allows carriers that have qualities that future generations would benefit from, to pass on those qualities, for example good breed type and temperament. Remember, breeders are trying to produce good all round Staffordshire Bull Terriers, so don't just choose a mate because it is normal with respect to these diseases, that probably will do the breed no favours; try to find a mate that you might have chosen anyway, that is also nomal for these conditions.
    - If breeders choose to mate a tested carrier dog to a normal dog, then they must undertake to DNA test the resultant puppies to identify those that are normal. The identified carriers should then be endorsed by the breeder, with the KC endorsement, "Progeny not eligible for registration". In other breeds, the cost of litter testing has become an issue, and in these cases what the breed clubs have adopted is that breeders need not DNA test all of the progeny from carrier x normal mating, but any untested puppies should be endorsed as above.

Traduzione
    QUALI PROSPETTIVE PER IL FUTURO?
    Ovviamente la prima cosa che deve esser fatta è quella di ottenere un consenso da parte degli allevatori di Staffordshire Bull Terrier, che il DNA di tutti i potenziali riproduttori debba essere analizzato per entrambe le mutazioni.
    Conoscere l'esito di ciascun test sarà utile per consentire all'allevatore di scegliere potenziali compagni.

Se il soggetto è pulito da entrambe le malattie allora non c'è alcun problema, poichè, avendo due copie normali di entrambi i geni, trasmetterà solo copie normali alla prole.

Cosa succede se un cane risulta portatore per una o entrambe le mutazioni? Essere portatore significa che il cane non è clinicamente colpito, ma ha una copia normale del gene ed una copia del gene mutante, che passerà a circa la metà dei suoi discendenti. La volontà di utilizzare un portatore in riproduzione è una scelta esclusiva dell' allevatore. Alcuni decideranno di non utilizzare un portatore, ma questo dipende dalla volontà di ognuno. Tuttavia, la mia opinione è che i cani sono troppo pochi per garantire un pool di riproduzione vario e ridurre ulteriormente questo stato potrebbe essere più dannoso per la razza. Anzi, per me uno dei principali vantaggi di poter effettuare test del DNA è che ciò permette di allevare cani carrier.
    Comunque, identificato un portatore questo impone all' allevatore vincoli aggiuntivi sulla scelta del compagno. Il portatore non deve essere accoppiato con un cane non testato, poichè potrebbe essere anche lui portatore ma non identificato, nè dovrà essere accoppiato con un soggetto testato che risulta carrier. Questo perché se due portatori vengono accoppiati, un cucciolo su 4 avrà la possibilità di essere colpito, e questo è un rischio troppo elevato. Tuttavia, se un portatore viene accoppiato con un cane che dal test del DNA risulta pulito, allora nessuno dei cuccioli diventerà clinicamente affetto dalle malattie, ma vi sarà un misto di clear e carrier.

Ad oggi abbiamo un po di esperienza con l'utilizzo dei test del DNA anche in altre razze e il seguente schema sembra funzionare molto bene per ridurre la frequenza della mutazione responsabile delle malattie, senza rimuovere i cani dal pool di allevamento della razza. Devono essere considerate le seguenti operazioni:
    - Tutti i soggetti utilizzati in riproduzione dovrebbero essere sottoposti al test del DNA.
    - I soggetti portatori non dovrebbero essere accoppiati con un cane non testato, o con un altro portatore ufficializzato.
    - I portatori individuati possono essere accoppiati, ma solo con un soggetto dichiarato ufficialmente pulito. Ciò consente ai cani portatori che hanno determinate qualità di trasmetterle anche alle generazioni future, in modo da garantire alla razza di perpetuare il tipo e il temperamento. Da tenere a mente che gli allevatori stanno cercando di selezionare buoni Staffordshire Bull Terriers, quindi non basta scegliere un compagno solo perchè normale rispetto a queste malattie, che probabilmente non sarà favorevole per la razza; cerca di trovare un compagno che avresti potuto scegliere comunque, che è anche normale per queste condizioni.
    - Se gli allevatori scelgono di accoppiare un portatore con un cane pulito, allora dovranno impegnarsi a fare tesr del DNA dei cuccioli, per individuare quelli che sono puliti. I portatori individuati dovrebbero poi essere approvati dal costitutore e dal KC, come "prole non adatta per la registrazione".
    In altre razze il costo dei test per le cucciolate sono diventati un problema, e in questi casi ciò che i club di razza hanno deciso che non è necessario che gli allevatori faccino il test del DNA a tutti i discendenti di un portatore x cane pulito, ma ogni cucciolo testato dovrebbe essere approvato come sopra.

23 replies since 21/1/2010, 09:01   434 views