Breed Defect - Short Toes

Difetto di Razza - Dita Corte

« Older   Newer »

1. Staffie

User deleted

Notice anything peculiar about the photo above? It’s the right front paw of a
    Staffordshire Bull Terrier and if you look at the nail of the far right toe you’ll notice
    that it’s back too far compared to the other toes? Have a look at the photo of a perfect foot below for comparison.

Notate qualcosa di strano nella foto qui sopra? E' la zampa anteriore destra di uno Staffordshire Bull Terrier e se si guarda l'unghia del dito all'estrema destra si noterà che è troppo indietro rispetto alle altre dita?
    Guardate la foto che segue, è di un piede perfetto, così potete avere un confronto

2 pictures of the problem on another dog the photo at bottom shows the dog standing
    for a better perspective. In the bottom photo the toe does not even go close to touching the ground.

2 fotografie del problema su un altro cane, nella foto in basso il cane è in piedi per avere una prospettiva migliore. Nella foto in basso il dito non si avvicina neanche a toccare il suolo

This defect is called Brachydactylia and occurs relatively frequently in Staffordshire Bull Terriers! It is genetic - however not all offspring are always affected. It is more likely if both parents have the defective gene - but even then is a bit like a lottery in that the number of affected pups is unpredictable.
    The short toes shown in the first photo are of our pedigreed red bitch—our first Stafford (who we love to bits) and before we became more familiar with the breed and breeding and what to look for.
    We did breed from her and from 2 litters of 7 pups; only 1 was affected, but was stillborn.
    Once you know what to look for; the short toed pup can be spotted as early as birth, and becomes more noticeable the older the dog becomes.
    She was sold to us by a registered breeder, who had been recommended by a Staffordshire Bull Terrier Club —so quite obviously buyers need to beware?
    In our 5 years of breeding we have come across at least 4 instances of the short toe defect and this from just one Australian state!

Questo difetto è chaimato Brachidattilia ed è riscontrato relativamente di frequante nello Staffordshire Bull Terrier! E' un difetto genetico - tuttavia non tutti i discendenti risultano essere affetti. Ha più incidenza se entrambi i genitori sono portatori del gene che determina il difetto - ma tuttavia è un po' come in una lotteria, nella quale il numero dei cuccioli affetti è imprevedibile.
    Il dito corto mostrato nella prima foto è di una nostra cagna rossa - il nostro primo stafford e quindi di prima che noi avessimo maggiore familiarità con la razza, la selezione e che capissiomo cosa cercare nei soggetti.
    Noi abbiamo usato questa cagna in selezione e da 2 cucciolate di 7 cuccioli; solo uno era affetto da questo difetto, ma è nato morto.
    Una volta che si sa cosa andare a cercare, un cucciolo con il dito corto può essere individuato gia alla nascita, e diventa più evidente man mano che il cucciolo cresce.
    Questa cagna è stata aquistata da un allevatore registrato, che ci è stato raccomandato dallo Staffordshire Bull terrier Club - probabilmente questo indica che gli acquirenti devono essere attenti?
    In 5 anni di allevamento ci siamo imbattuti in almeno 4 casi di dito corto

How does Short Toes Affect You or Your Dog?

Short toes is more of an aesthetic problem than anything else. Our bitch has an unusual gait, due to her toes, wide chest and muscular build; but we would not swap her for anything.
    It is not described as a fault for the breed in the standard—however the defect IS instantly recognizable by judges—and dogs with short toes do not fare anywhere near as well in the show ring.
    We absolutely love Staffordshire’s — so the thought of any dog being passed over because of its toes, causes us concern. If you are looking for a Staffordshire as a pet and companion only it is not likely to be a problem. However, if you are planning to show your dog in the ring you would do well to consider a dog that does not have the fault.
    To the best of our knowledge —there is no other information available on this topic; it is our hope that this article may help to increase awareness of the problem and perhaps lead to more concerted efforts to eliminate it from the breed.

Il dito corto non è ninte più di un difetto estetico. La nostra cagna ha uno strano modo di camminare, dovuto alle sua dita, ha il petto largo ed è muscolosa, ma non cambieremmo lei per nulla al mondo.
    Il dito corto non è indicato come difetto nello standard - tuttavia il difetto è immediatamente riconoscibile da parte dei giudici - e di cani con le dita corte, non ottengono buni risultati nei ring.
    Noi amiamo gli Staffordhire - così il pensiero che un cane possa essere penalizzao a causa delle sue dita, ci preoccupa.
    Se siete alla ricerca di uno Staffordshire come un animale domestico e unico compagno questo probabilmente non è un problema.
    Tuttavia, se avete intenzione esporre il vostro cane nei ring, sarebbe meglio prendere in considerazione un cane che non ha questo problema.
    Al massimo delle nostre conoscenze - non c'è altra informazione disponibile su questo argomento; speriamo che questo nostro articolo possa contribuire ad aumentare la consapevolezza del problema e forse portare ad una maggiore sforzo comune per eliminare questo problema dalla razza.

fonte www.dogloverstoolbox.com

2. staffydea

User deleted

bell' articolo, brava staffie....
    e qua in italia? che incidenza è riscontrata?

3. Greatstaff

User deleted

Very good topic!
    Thank you for telling your story, there's a lot of things puppy buyers have to think about before they get a new family member. Should have made a list for for what to look for when getting a pup.

4. staffydea

User deleted

I'm agree with you, the short toes isn't so clear but it's a defect...
    good idea of the post! we could open it... :)

5. Greatstaff

User deleted

QUOTE (staffydea @ 8/11/2009, 21:33)
    I'm agree with you, the short toes isn't so clear but it's a defect...
    good idea of the post! we could open it... :)

Brilliant!
    Let me know when you've opened a post on this, will be good, as everyone can share they're experience and do's and dont's. When buying a puppy for the first time, people might not know what's the norm, or what to look for.

6. Staffie

User deleted

CITAZIONE (Greatstaff @ 8/11/2009, 21:06)
    Very good topic!
    Thank you for telling your story, there's a lot of things puppy buyers have to think about before they get a new family member. Should have made a list for for what to look for when getting a pup.

thank you!!!!
    But it is not my story, i found this story on the web, i thought it can be useful for the breeders and the new owners.
    Your suggestion for a new discussion is very interesting, i'll open a new discussion as soon as i can ;)

5 replies since 31/10/2009, 00:02   330 views