Dall' Annuario 2006

DNA diseases and diagnostic test

« Older   Newer »

1. staffydea

User deleted

The Way Forward
    Now that genetic tests are available for both HC and L-2-HGA it is possible to avoid breeding any more dogs that are affected with either of these conditions. Initial L-2-HGA test results indicate that approximately 15% of dogs tested are carriers of the L-2-HGA mutation and it is likely that a similar proportion of dogs will also carry the HC mutation. Some dogs will carry both mutations but as many as 20-25% of Staffordshire bull terriers could carry at least one mutation. Therefore, geneticists at the AHT advise against eliminating carriers from the breeding population because doing so will result in an unacceptable reduction in the gene pool that can never be recovered.
    Instead, our advice would be to test all dogs that might be used for breeding, and if a dog is identified as being a carrier of either HC or L-2-HGA they should only be mated to dogs that have tested clear and any resulting puppies that may be used for breeding should also be tested. This practice will allow gradual elimination of the mutations from the breeding population, while also allowing those desirable characteristics exhibited by the carriers to be passed to future generations. As long as carriers are always bred to clear dogs no affected puppies will be produced and although some carriers will be bred they will be perfectly healthy with respect to both these diseases. Below is a list of various combinations of dogs, their expected outcomes, and whether they are recommended:

Traduzione
    Una Strada in Avanti
    Ora che i test genetici sono disponibili sia per l' HC che per l' L-2-HGA è possibile evitare la riproduzione dei cani che sono colpiti da una di queste condizioni. I risultati dei test dell' L-2-HGA indicano che circa il 15% dei cani esaminati sono portatori della mutazione L-2-HGA ed è probabile che una percentuale analoga abbia anche la mutazione HC. Alcuni cani portano entrambe le mutazioni, ma ben il 20-25% di Staffordshire bull terrier ne porta solo una mutazione.
    Pertanto, i genetisti dell' AHT sconsigliano l'eliminazione dei vettori da parte degli allevatori, perché così facendo avverrebbe una riduzione inaccettabile del pool genico.
    Invece, il nostro consiglio è di provare tutti i cani che possono essere utilizzati per l'allevamento, e se uno viene identificato come portatore di HC o di L-2-HGA dovrebbe essere accoppiato con soggetti che risultano puliti da queste malattie e conseguentemente anche i cuccioli che verranno utilizzati in riproduzione dovranno essere testati. Questa pratica consente l'eliminazione graduale delle mutazioni da parte della popolazione usata in riproduzione, consentendo contemporaneamente a quei pregi presenti nei vettori di passare alle generazioni future. Fintanto che i vettori verranno sempre accoppiati con cani puliti, non nasceranno cuccioli affetti e anche se verranno allevati alcuni vettori, saranno perfettamente sani rispetto a queste due malattie.
    Di seguito è riportato un elenco delle varie combinazioni dei soggetti, i loro risultati attesi e se sono consigliati:

23 replies since 21/1/2010, 09:01   434 views